Pages

Welcome to my Sweets Blog!

Welcome to my Sweets Blog!
I've been looking for a way to share my sweet creations with everyone, and I think I have found it--here is my sweets blog! As I experiment with delicious desserts & sweet treats, I will post pictures, recipes, and how-to tips & tricks. Hope you enjoy reading about my sweets as much I enjoy eating them!

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Strawberry Shortcake Berry Cute Sugar Cookies









I may be dating myself here, but my how Strawberry Shortcake has changed!











 
I am quite certain that I watched this one Strawberry Shortcake episode at least a hundred times that my mother had recorded for me and my sister on a VHS. A few months ago, my sis and I found it on YouTube, and we geeked out watching it while her husband (fianc√©, at the time) looked on in what could only be described as wonder. As in, “I wonder what on Earth I am marrying in to.” Haha. 





Anyway, back to the cookies.  A while ago I was asked to make Strawberry Shortcake cookies for a friend’s niece’s birthday party. I was all set to make Strawberry Shortcake faces (the new version, much to my own dismay). I had baked my sugar & spice cookies using my large candy corn cutter, to be turned upside down, which would be a good shape for her hat, face, and hair. And then Hurricane Sandy hit. I was very lucky not to have lost power for too long, and to be able to host some friends and family who had no power all week. However, with dangerous traveling conditions and a gas shortage in the days following the storm, I was worried about my supply of cookie ingredients. Specifically, I was low on sugar and meringue powder, and wouldn’t have enough for all of the royal icing colors I would need to make for the face.


I always end up having leftover royal icing after a cookie project. Partly that’s because it is really hard to pipe anything with a small amount of icing in the piping bag. Also it is very hard to recreate the same shade after running out of a color. I always mix up more than I need. I knew I wouldn’t have enough supplies and I was not venturing out to buy any. So, my plans changed, and fortunately the candy corn shape also makes a berry cute strawberry! 






No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments! If you stopped by, and liked what you saw, let me hear about it!