Pages

Welcome to my Sweets Blog!

Welcome to my Sweets Blog!
I've been looking for a way to share my sweet creations with everyone, and I think I have found it--here is my sweets blog! As I experiment with delicious desserts & sweet treats, I will post pictures, recipes, and how-to tips & tricks. Hope you enjoy reading about my sweets as much I enjoy eating them!

Sunday, December 23, 2012

Santa's Elves

It wouldn’t be Christmas without this cast of characters!




Last Christmas, my favorite cookie collection that I made were these Segmented Santas. {See the tutorial here.}


This year, I decided Santa needed some company! So I made his little helpers, these adorable Christmas Elves, and of course, Mrs. Claus. 

The sugar cookies are made with my traditional Sugar Cookie recipe, which you can find by clicking {here} or by clicking the Recipes tab above. All the cookies are decorated with Royal Icing, recipe also found {here} and under the Recipes tab.

The how-to for these little elves is very similar to the method for Santa's faces from last year’s post. The cookie shape is made with an eight-pedal flower cookie cutter and the Santa hat cookie cutter, rounded into a winter hat shape.  {See more on transforming the hat cookie cutter here.}




After you’ve rolled out the dough to approximately ¼ inch thickness, here’s how to make the elves:


1.  Cut out the flower and the hat
2.  Use the hat cutter to cut the top three petals off the flower. *Note that when I make the Santa faces, I use the Santa hat cutter to cut the top 2 petals off the flower, giving Santa a fuller beard.
3.  Remove the scrap made by cutting the top of the flower, and attach the hat cutout in its place on top of the flower. Smooth out the seam and carefully transfer to your parchment-lined cookie sheet!





Once the cookies have been dried and thoroughly cooled, to decorate the elves, work in alternating sections to allow the icing to dry between steps.


Before adding the white sections of the hat, as in photo 3, make sure the face and green section
of the hat are completely dry, to avoid getting the sanding sugar stuck in the wrong spots! 

And finally, add a face and some holly on the collar! I always use a #1 size tip (Wilton) for the small details. And to give him smiling eyes, I used a toothpick to drag the sides of the eyes outward, ever so slightly. 


The little details are what really gives the elves their personality! 











No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments! If you stopped by, and liked what you saw, let me hear about it!