Pages

Welcome to my Sweets Blog!

Welcome to my Sweets Blog!
I've been looking for a way to share my sweet creations with everyone, and I think I have found it--here is my sweets blog! As I experiment with delicious desserts & sweet treats, I will post pictures, recipes, and how-to tips & tricks. Hope you enjoy reading about my sweets as much I enjoy eating them!

Sunday, September 30, 2012

Mardi Gras Mask Sugar Cookies


My sister Liza’s wedding rehearsal dinner was held at a Cajun and Creole style restaurant in Asbury Park, NJ, called Trinity and the Pope. They have incredibly delicious food in a warm atmosphere with Bayou-inspired décor. 

Check out their website here and if you are in the area, definitely make a dinner reservation or stop by the bar for small plates and drinks. 



Liza and I were so inspired by the menu and atmosphere, that we decided to take the New Orleans theme to the dessert…with three different varieties of Mardi Gras mask cookies! 


It all starts with the classic Mardi Gras colors, purple, green, and gold.



If you google the meaning of the mardi gras colors, like I did, you might find that purple is a symbol for justice, green for faith, and gold for power. Or you might find, and I like this version better because its just funnier, some say that the three colors were chosen just because they looked nice together. 


The masks all got a white base, with openings for the eyes. I thought about cutting the openings out of the cookies themselves after they were already baked. Oh well, maybe next time.


To decorate each of the three varieties, I started with the details around the eyes, and worked my way outward, adding swirly line details and gold dragée accents. 




And because these cookies were made for an  extra special occasion, they got extra fancy wrapping, with a gold ribbon and a feather!



My beautiful cousin and aunt enjoyed their cookie masks! 


And here is the beautiful bride and her official wedding pastry chef (me). 







2 comments:

  1. Delicious cookies!!! And so festive and fun... I loved that dinner!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lize! I love that all of the wedding events had their own unique theme!!

      Delete

I love to read your comments! If you stopped by, and liked what you saw, let me hear about it!