Pages

Welcome to my Sweets Blog!

Welcome to my Sweets Blog!
I've been looking for a way to share my sweet creations with everyone, and I think I have found it--here is my sweets blog! As I experiment with delicious desserts & sweet treats, I will post pictures, recipes, and how-to tips & tricks. Hope you enjoy reading about my sweets as much I enjoy eating them!

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Shark Week Birthday Sugar Cookies

Last week was Shark Week, and I have to admit that I did not watch one second of it. Thanks in large part to my mom (love her dearly) who let me watch Jaws (and the sequels) at a very young age... I was scarred for life after watching those movies. I'm a complete beach bum & love swimming, but an irrational fear takes over as soon as I'm in the ocean past my knees. Just thinking about their teeth gives me chills! 



Well, my good friend's son had his 5th birthday last week, and he wanted a Shark Party! So I got to have some Shark Week fun, without having to watch any of the gruesome specials on the Discovery Channel. 

I think what I liked most about these cookies is that they reached just the right blend of cartoon shark and scary shark! 





Most of my design inspirations come from Google Image searches of cartoons and clip art. I get a lot of ideas from other cookie decorating blogs, but lots of designs haven't been cookie-blogged yet... So I often turn to Google (like I do for so many other things in life)! You will see the image that I worked off in the center of the cookie sheet in each of the photos below. This one came from clipartstockphoto.com.

As with most of my sugar cookies, these were made with my Sugar Cookie and Royal Icing Recipes. Look here for the recipes and here for more tips and tricks.

Once the cookies were made, I started each one with a base of white Royal Icing. I like my whole cookie to be covered in icing, so knowing that the shape of the cookie had to be big enough to fit the fins (without them breaking off), I knew there would be some "white space" and wanted to make sure it was all covered with icing!

Then I mixed light blue royal icing, and piped the underbelly, using Wilton Sky Blue gel food coloring. 



Once that dried, I mixed a darker blue with Wilton Royal Blue gel food coloring. I started with the body and once that dried, I added the top fin. I wanted it to stand out, because, well, when people think of sharks, the fin is usually the prominent feature that comes to mind! (For me though, it's the teeth...ughhh.)



Then the inside of the mouth was filled in with red royal icing, made with Wilton Red-red food coloring. 



After the red dried completely, I mixed up a small batch of extra stiff white icing for the teeth. Using a #1 Wilton tip, I piped little triangles for each of the teeth.  This can be done by starting at the "gum line" while squeezing the piping bag, and then while pulling away, releasing pressure. It helps to have a toothpick handy to re-do any that don't come out as intended. This is also why it's important that the red is dried completely, so you have a firm working surface.



The final details on the eyes really added to the character of these little guys. They look like they're scheming to find his next meal! 





For those of you who enjoy Shark Week, more power to you... I, on the other hand, shall stick to making shark cookies to commemorate the annual event!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments! If you stopped by, and liked what you saw, let me hear about it!