Pages

Welcome to my Sweets Blog!

Welcome to my Sweets Blog!
I've been looking for a way to share my sweet creations with everyone, and I think I have found it--here is my sweets blog! As I experiment with delicious desserts & sweet treats, I will post pictures, recipes, and how-to tips & tricks. Hope you enjoy reading about my sweets as much I enjoy eating them!

Sunday, March 4, 2012

Mimi's Sour Cream Chocolate Chip Coffee Cake


This Sour Cream Chocolate Chip Coffee Cake is one of our all-time family favorites. Its the perfect combination of tasting sweet and chocolaty without being too much. It has a perfectly crusty top and is the moistest coffee cake I’ve ever had the pleasure of eating (you can thank the sour cream for that). And it’s a breeze to make. So much so that I made three yesterday for my little sister’s birthday weekend. 


This recipe has been in my family for a looong time. We affectionately call it Mimi’s Cake in my family, since it was my grandmother’s (Mimi’s) signature dessert. The recipe came from her sister (my great-aunt) Connie, who adapted it from one of her friends. My mom tells me that the original recipe was for a cake from scratch, but Aunt Connie modified it to make it with a boxed cake mix. Turned out that was a genius shortcut. This cake is amazing. 



I grew up living in the same house as my maternal grandparents, in a sort of mother-daughter home, but the two sections of the house were separated only by a sliding door and small stairwell. Mimi always encouraged me to bake and cook when I was younger. She showed me how to make her family recipes, and loved when I tried new ones. Sometimes after she went food shopping, she would leave cake or cookie ingredients on the top of her stairwell for me, and she wouldn’t say a word about it. Except later that day to ask for a bite of whatever I made!


So, here’s what would be on the top of the steps if I told her I wanted to make her sour cream cake… (well, she wouldn’t leave the eggs and sour cream out on the stairs, but I thought it was a cute segue)…




First, you will need: yellow cake mix, sour cream, eggs, chocolate chips, sugar, and cinnamon. 


Grease and flour a Bundt cake pan.

I have two Bundt cake pans, both from Pampered Chef, and I love them both. One is a non-stick spring-form pan that has a Bundt insert, and the other is part of their stoneware line. Both are excellent bakeware!

Mix the cake mix, 8 oz. of sour cream and 2 eggs in a bowl. 


The mixture will be thick, and will not be cake batter-y. 


Mix in a cup of chocolate chips.

I used both semi-sweet chips and milk chocolate chips. This particular cake was for my sister's birthday, and she prefers milk chocolate, so I mixed them in there for her!
Spoon half of the mixture into the prepared pan, spreading evenly. 


Next mix ¼ cup sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon together. Sprinkle half of the cinnamon sugar onto the first layer of cake batter. Dab with small pieces of butter.



Spoon the rest of the cake batter on top, spreading evenly. 


And sprinkle the rest of the cinnamon sugar on top.


Bake for 45 minutes at 350 degrees F. Then, and I believe this is the other critical piece to ensuring the perfect amount of moistness, turn off the oven and open the oven door. Let the cake sit in the oven for an hour. 


By this point, it should be fairly cool to the touch and you should be able to remove it from the pan easily.



My favorite way to remove a Bundt cake from the pan is using two dinner plates: I place one upside-down on top of the cake. Holding both the cake pan and the plate securely, I flip the cake over onto the plate, and lift the cake pan off. Then I take the 2nd plate and place it upside-down on top of the cake, and flip them over, holding both plates securely. Now the cake should be right-side up on a nice serving platter! 





The Recipe


yellow cake mix
8 oz. sour cream
2 eggs
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup chocolate chips (semi-sweet, milk chocolate, or both)
1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)
several pads of butter


1. Preheat oven to 350F. Grease and flour Bundt cake pan.
2. Combine cake mix, sour cream, and eggs in a large bowl and mix with a wooden spoon. The mixture will be thick. Add chocolate chips.
3. Make a mixture of the sugar and cinnamon (if using nuts, add here).
4. Spread half of the cake batter into prepared cake pan. Sprinkle half of the cinnamon sugar on top of batter. Dab with small pieces of butter. Spread remaining batter into pan. Sprinkle with remaining cinnamon sugar. 
5. Bake for 45 minutes. 
6. Turn off oven, open oven door, and keep the cake in the oven for 1 hour. Let cool several minutes in the pan. Turn out onto serving platter and let cool completely or serve warm. 



This cake is so well loved by our family and friends. Since my grandparents lived with us, they knew many of my friends and my brother and sisters’ friends very well. I remember on a few separate occasions, a few of our friends expressed disappointment in not getting to have a piece of the cake after she made it on holidays or birthdays. Within the next few days, she would ask us when that friend was coming over again, and sure enough we would smell the cake baking in her oven the next time he or she was over.



We still make the cake all the time, and we still call it Mimi’s Cake. 


2 comments:

  1. harrumph. where was my slice? grumble grumble :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's really such a good cake. Nice Mimi memories in this post, too. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments! If you stopped by, and liked what you saw, let me hear about it!