Pages

Welcome to my Sweets Blog!

Welcome to my Sweets Blog!
I've been looking for a way to share my sweet creations with everyone, and I think I have found it--here is my sweets blog! As I experiment with delicious desserts & sweet treats, I will post pictures, recipes, and how-to tips & tricks. Hope you enjoy reading about my sweets as much I enjoy eating them!

Sunday, December 11, 2011

Snowmen Sugar Cookies



Snowman Faces with Winter Hats!

In my last post, I showed you how to bend and reshape a santa hat cookie cutter into a winter hat. {Read about it here} Well now I will show you how to put the hat on a snowman!

Start with a few large circles and hats.




Remove the excess dough. Then take the hat cutter again & place it on the circle overlapping the top (as if you were placing the hat on the snowman's head).


Remove the section you just cut from the top. Place one of the hats on the head-- it should fit right into the little section you just cut out!


Smooth out the seams and very carefully place it onto the cookie sheet.


You can really see in these pictures how much extra flour & confectioner's sugar I use to dust the surfaces. I use equal ratios of flour & confectioner's sugar, and dust it all over the rolling surface, rolling pin, top of the dough, and even my hands! Aside from preventing sticking, this helps the cookies maintain their shape when you transfer them to the cookie sheets.

Once they are all baked and cooled, it's time to give them some character.

I worked in alternating sections, to give each section time to dry. First, outline and fill the hat & add sprinkles while the icing is wet. Then, outline the face, leaving enough room for a rim on the hat. I wanted to put names on the rims, so I they had to be thick enough so the writing wouldn't be smooshed! Next, fill the face & drop in round sprinkles while the icing is wet to form the snowman's smile. Since the hat and faces are not adjacent, you don't have to wait for the hats to dry before starting the faces! Once the hat and the face are both dry, you can add the rim of the hat & the pompom. I used a thicker consistency of icing for this section. It's often referred to as 20-second royal icing, since it takes about 20 seconds before a peak drops completely back into the icing (when I outline & fill I use 10-second icing-- same idea, but thinner consistency).


After all of the base surfaces have dried, it's time to add details.

I outlined the rim of the hat and wrote the names in light purple for the girls, and green for the boys. I also piped the pompom strings in the same color.

Then I made very small batches of black & orange royal icing for the eyes and nose!



These measured about 4"x5" once the hat was attached to the circles, making these snowmen faces a perfect party favor for a 10 year old's Christmas themed birthday party!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments! If you stopped by, and liked what you saw, let me hear about it!