Pages

Welcome to my Sweets Blog!

Welcome to my Sweets Blog!
I've been looking for a way to share my sweet creations with everyone, and I think I have found it--here is my sweets blog! As I experiment with delicious desserts & sweet treats, I will post pictures, recipes, and how-to tips & tricks. Hope you enjoy reading about my sweets as much I enjoy eating them!

Sunday, December 25, 2011

Segmented Santa Claus Sugar Cookies

Santa Claus is Comin' to Town!



I am so excited about these Segmented Santas! Before I say one more word about them, I have to share that they were hugely inspired by one of my all time favorite cookie-decorating-bloggers, Callye, also known as Sweet Sugarbelle [check out her blog here and her flickr photostream here]. Her cookie decorating skills are impeccable and she has some of the most creative cookie ideas I've seen.

I had been sketching out ideas for a large Santa face, made from a 6-petal flower cutter & the Santa Hat cutter. Then, when I saw her blog post featuring her Dancing Elves & Segmented Santas earlier this month, I knew my Santa needed a big belly and black boots too!


To make the Santa face with the flower & hat cutter, I followed the same procedures I described a few weeks ago when I made the Snowmen with Winter Hats [read about it here]. For the belly I used a large circle cutter, and for the boots, a large onesie (turned upside down). To make all the pieces fit together like a little cookie puzzle, I cut out a collar from the top of the belly with the same flower cutter I used for the Santa head. Then I cut the bottom of the belly and the top of the boots with one side of an oval cutter. 


Here is a little preview of my creative process. I always sketch out the cookie design with pencil and paper before I start a project. Not only does it help me to plan out proportions & small details, but it also helps plan out the icing layers (so I know which section to pipe first, which sections have to dry before piping other colors, etc.).   


I piped the outline & filled the red sections first. Since I was using a lot of red royal icing for the base, I topped it with red sanding sugar. This way the red royal icing won't have a chemical-ish taste from too much food coloring [see more on this here].  

Once these were dry, I used black royal icing for the belt and boots, and flesh colored icing for the face. Santa only has a little bit of his face peeking out behind his fluffy beard! These sections have to dry completely before moving on. 


At this point the white was added in two parts (only one picture, my apologies!). First, I outlined & filled in the sections of the hat, shirt, and pants where I wanted the fluffy white trim. These sections were topped with clear sanding sugar (white nonpareil sprinkles work well here too). If the other sections are still wet, the clear sugar will stick to those sections when you shake off the excess.  

Then I outlined and filled the beard section. I wanted a difference in texture between the trim and the beard, so this was not topped with sanding sugar. 


Lots of final details on these guys! 
  • The white mustache overlapping the face & beard adds more dimension to the face.
  • The white swirls piped with very thin (Wilton size #1) round tip on the beard and mustache show a striking difference in texture from the sanding sugar on the white trim.
  • A flesh colored, round nose sits just above the mustache. 
  • Black eyes with a little white twinkle & bushy white eyebrows give the Santas their personality! 
  • The belt and boot buckles are piped in golden yellow and brushed with gold or yellow luster dust. 


Close-up details...

Santa's Face

Santa's belly & boots


I hope you have all been good this year! ;) 



Merry Christmas to all!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments! If you stopped by, and liked what you saw, let me hear about it!