Pages

Welcome to my Sweets Blog!

Welcome to my Sweets Blog!
I've been looking for a way to share my sweet creations with everyone, and I think I have found it--here is my sweets blog! As I experiment with delicious desserts & sweet treats, I will post pictures, recipes, and how-to tips & tricks. Hope you enjoy reading about my sweets as much I enjoy eating them!

Monday, December 12, 2011

Santa Hats: A Tip for Red Icing


This will be a short post, for a fairly simple cookie design, but it's a perfect opportunity for me to share a tip on making red royal icing.

Reaching a true red color can be difficult with some brands of food coloring. I use Wilton gels, since they are found in all of the craft stores near me (AC Moore, Michaels, JoAnnes, etc.) and even the party stores (Party City & Party Box). Now, I can tell you that Americolor food coloring is pretty popular among my favorite cookie bloggers {see side panel for links to their amazing blogs}, but I have not worked with it yet, since I would have to order it online. I just can't seem to plan my color purchases that far in advance! So for all of you who also rely on spur of the moment store purchases, you may appreciate this tip.
As convenient as they are to find in stores, the Wilton reds have an awful flavor when used in large enough quantities to get past pink and reach a true red. They do make a No-taste Red, but it just never gets to a deep enough color. I usually mix the No-taste with their Red-red or Christmas Red and that helps a little. But my favorite trick is adding red sprinkles! Sanding sugar, to be exact.

When adding red sanding sugar on top, you can get away with a lighter red, which almost comes out in the coral family.






When working with sanding sugar or any type of sprinkles, pour them onto the wet icing over a clean bowl. This way you can shake off the excess into the bowl, and re-use the excess sugar or sprinkles!

After the red dries, you can add the white rim & pompom. I've done this part before with white nonpareil sprinkles or clear sanding sugar to match the red section, but this time I was personalizing the cookies for a Christmas party, so I left the white sections alone & piped the names on with green royal icing!  


Santa is coming soon! What treats are you making for the holiday?

2 comments:

  1. These are adorable! Loving the little winter hat and mitten cookies below too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for visiting! ur blog is great too!! love the cupcake tree :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments! If you stopped by, and liked what you saw, let me hear about it!