Pages

Welcome to my Sweets Blog!

Welcome to my Sweets Blog!
I've been looking for a way to share my sweet creations with everyone, and I think I have found it--here is my sweets blog! As I experiment with delicious desserts & sweet treats, I will post pictures, recipes, and how-to tips & tricks. Hope you enjoy reading about my sweets as much I enjoy eating them!

Saturday, December 31, 2011

Hanukkah Sugar Cookies (with a Twist)

At the last minute (or what felt like the last minute for a non-professional baker, making tons of Christmas cookies in my,  eh-em, spare-time), my friend at work asked me to make Hanukkah cookies for her this year, instead of Christmas cookies. (She celebrates both holidays, and knows that I usually give a handful of my coworkers an assortment of Christmas cookies every year.) She made her request the week before Christmas (a few days before Hanukkah), after I had already closed the chapter on all of the cookie-baking, and was focusing on all of the royal icing decorating. [I made huge batches of all sorts of Christmas sugar cookies: snowflakes, trees, wreaths, stockings, santa hats, etc, etc. See a bunch of them here and here!]

I had to do some quick thinking to save myself from getting all sorts of disorganized & throwing my cookie decorating schedule off track...*insert whiney voice here*...I just did not want to bake another cookie that week! But I could not disappoint my dear friend, who keeps me sane at work every day!  

Well, I had made a ton of 5-point stars for my Christmas Tree Cookie Towers, but clearly they would not work for the 6-point star needed for the Star of David. I also had a bunch of presents that I could decorate with blue and yellow icing instead of red and green, but that didn't seem special enough to stand alone. Then I realized that all of the snowflakes that I already had baked had 6 points! I was saved! And somehow, at the 11th hour, I envisioned a menorah in the upside-down Christmas tree. A stroke of brilliance I am sure will not be soon replicated.  

Enjoy! 



Happy Hanukkah! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments! If you stopped by, and liked what you saw, let me hear about it!