Pages

Welcome to my Sweets Blog!

Welcome to my Sweets Blog!
I've been looking for a way to share my sweet creations with everyone, and I think I have found it--here is my sweets blog! As I experiment with delicious desserts & sweet treats, I will post pictures, recipes, and how-to tips & tricks. Hope you enjoy reading about my sweets as much I enjoy eating them!

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Thanksgiving Turkey Cookies

Turkey Day is here! I cannot wait to enjoy all the delicious dishes we prepared for our family dinner. Thanksgiving officially kicks off the holiday season, which makes me the happiest girl! 


My Thanksgiving cookie platter is a mixed bag this year, but all of the cookies are made using my Sugar & Spice recipe and decorated with Royal Icing. 


Leaves




Acorns



Pumpkins



Plaid Circle Messages



Plaid Small Circles



Large Plaques



and of course, the main event, the Turkeys!! 



Here's a quick tutorial for making a cartoon-ish turkey using a flower cookie cutter! 



I started with brown royal icing, which I partially flavored with cocoa powder and colored with brown food coloring. {See more details on this here.


The body of the turkey is outlined in brown, and then filled a few minutes later. I made about 20 turkeys so I was able to outline all of them & then starting with the first one I outlined, I began filling them all in. The outline had just enough time to set & hold its shape. Also, the body is on the lower half of the flower, not directly in the center.


  


It's the same idea for all three sizes. Here's a picture of the filled body from the side, to show the dimension.



  


Once that set for a bit, I outlined and filled a smaller circle for the head. 





Another side view...





As long as you let the outline set a little, you can fill in the sections with a lot of icing and you will get a puffy, overfilled look. You can really see this effect in the side view pictures!


Next I piped on the outline for the feathers in brown. For the large and medium turkey, I piped two feathers in each of the flower's petals, except for the bottom where I wanted to save room for the feet. 





For the mini turkey, I only piped one feather on each petal. 




These could be left just like this! But I wanted these guys to have some color.


While the brown outline was drying, I made orange, red, and yellow icing for the feathers. Then I filled in the sections one color at a time, so the adjacent sections wouldn't blend together. 





All that's left now are the little details! I always use a #1 round tip for piping small elements like this, so the details can be very precise & won't spread much. 


These turkeys have a yellow beak and orange feet. 





Then, I added a red wattle and the medium & large ones got brown sprinkles (or jimmies) stuck on with brown royal icing. 





And here are a few Thanksgiving Cookie platters for a few get togethers with family and friends this holiday weekend!










No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments! If you stopped by, and liked what you saw, let me hear about it!