Pages

Welcome to my Sweets Blog!

Welcome to my Sweets Blog!
I've been looking for a way to share my sweet creations with everyone, and I think I have found it--here is my sweets blog! As I experiment with delicious desserts & sweet treats, I will post pictures, recipes, and how-to tips & tricks. Hope you enjoy reading about my sweets as much I enjoy eating them!

Thursday, November 3, 2011

New York Rangers Hockey!

Happy Birthday to my Brother-in-law-to-be! 


My big sister called in a cookie favor for her fiance's birthday this year. He is a die hard Ranger fan, and with his birthday falling near the beginning of hockey season, Ranger-themed gifts just can't go wrong! 



This birthday platter had a combination of my Sugar Cookies decorated with Royal Icing and my Ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookies. I promise an upcoming post about the Chocolate Chip Cookies, just in time for the holiday season. These cookies were also packaged a little bit differently than usual... I figured since they were my first cookie gift for a grown-up guy, I'd lay off the curled ribbon! More on that in a bit...but let's not get ahead of ourselves...

The shapes were simple for this project: circles for the pucks, rectangles for the jerseys, and squares for the classic Rangers logo. Apparently the birthday-guy likes to enjoy my cookies for breakfast-- I do too! But then I'm on a sugar-high all day!-- so my sister and I decided these should be big cookies, like a breakfast pastry!

I don't have a big square or rectangle cookie cutter, so I used index cards to help make straight lines and a pizza cutter. 

4x6" index cards were trimmed to make the sizes I needed for the jerseys & team logo.

I had to keep referring back to the logo images that I had Googled to make sure I was getting the proportions & spacing right on the lettering.

I used a Wilton petal tip #59* to get the thick but flat outside
border. The lettering on the bottom right cookie was made
with #2 tip, but then I switched to #1 and I think I like
the others better. Do you notice a difference?

I really love how the jerseys turned out! All three kinds (home, away, & heritage) had slightly different color combinations, lettering style, and stripes, and I wanted to make sure they were as accurate as I could possibly translate onto a cookie! I even tried to make the Reebok logo on the back of one of them, but that didn't work out so well. 





Here's a handy tip for lettering to make sure all the letters fit and are centered. I start by finding the center of the space and then I write the middle letter first (for the last name GRABOWSKI, which is a 9 letter word, the middle letter is the 5th letter, the O). Then I write the rest of the word (in this case WSKI) in the space that I have. Mirroring the spacing and size of those letters, I then go back to the middle letter, and write from right to left (in this case, starting with the B, then A, R, and last G). If there are an even number of letters, do the same thing, but start by piping the first letter of the second half of the word slightly off center (for example, in COOKIE, you would pipe K slightly to the right off center and then IE, then backwards from the middle O, O, C). It may sound overly complicated to spell from the middle and then backwards, but this trick has made lettering much easier than the cross-your-fingers-and-hope-you-are-centered method! 


And last but not least, the official game puck. 


I used the same spacing & centering trick that I described above, although I was less concerned here since I knew the lettering was going to be very small regardless. 


Now about the packaging. I first saw this idea for packaging treats on the Bake It Pretty blog, when I was researching ideas for my sister-in-law's "button-themed" baby shower. And I have recently seen the same idea here and there on a lot of other blogs, although I can't remember exactly which ones...I read a lot of cookie blogs!

All you need are treat bags, cardstock, printable mailing labels (or you can print directly onto the cardstock), and staples! 

My treat bags are 4 inches wide, and I had 2x4" mailing labels. I cut the colored cardstock into 4x4" squares and folded them in half & really pressed down to flatten the seam. With the cookie in the bag, I folded the top of the bag down a few times & stapled it closed. Then I put a label on each of the colored squares, and stapled it to the top of the treat bag to cover the fold. When I was almost finished, I realized I should have put the labels on after I stapled everything in place, to cover the staples! Oh well, I'm sure there will be a next time! 

I ended up trimming the sides of the labels just a
smidge because I wanted the red and blue to show! 
    
When I was almost finished, I realized I should have put
the labels on after I stapled everything in place, to cover
the staples! Oh well, I'm sure there will be a next time!

Now, what Ranger fan wouldn't want to dig in to this on his birthday?!

6 comments:

  1. These are awesome! Though they'd be better if they were NJ Devils cookies... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job! You've inspired me as I'm making cookies for my daughters' Kitchener Rangers hockey teams for Christmas and the colours are the exact same as the NY Rangers. What Wilton paste did you use for the blue. I'm in the middle of mixing and used Royal but can't get it dark enough. Off to the store to look for navy I guess...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool. I'm a Diehard NYR Fan too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you take orders to sell these?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you take orders to sell these?

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments! If you stopped by, and liked what you saw, let me hear about it!