Pages

Welcome to my Sweets Blog!

Welcome to my Sweets Blog!
I've been looking for a way to share my sweet creations with everyone, and I think I have found it--here is my sweets blog! As I experiment with delicious desserts & sweet treats, I will post pictures, recipes, and how-to tips & tricks. Hope you enjoy reading about my sweets as much I enjoy eating them!

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Fall Plaid Cookies

This week I made two gift platters, a Thank You platter & a Get Well platter. I went with a fall theme for both, using sugar & spice cookies in the shape of leaves, acorns, and pumpkin. I wanted to add some cookies that had both messages on them, and immediately thought of Cookie Crazie's plaid designs as a fun way to tie in the fall colors from the leaves, acorns, and pumpkins. She does plaid details, stitching, and patchwork like no other! So I gave it a try. Not exactly my best work, but once all the details were in place, I was happy with the results! 
        
Thank You Cookies


  
Get Well Cookies





Planning the color palette for the royal icing was the most important step of this project. I really loved the colors I used for the fall leaves and acorns and pumpkins and jack-o'-lanterns that I made a few weeks ago. So I made a bunch more of those. I wanted the green to stand out a bit more as an accent color, so I used it for the cap of the acorns, as well as some of the lettering, stitching, and plaid stripes.

   
The next most important factor in piping the plaid details was choosing the best decorator tips. I went back and forth experimenting with combinations of Wilton size #1, #2, & #3. The thinner stripes (#1 tip) were my favorite, but only when I left a lot of room between stripes. 
  
Look at the difference between the two yellow ones. To me,
the bottom right has too many thin lines piped too close together.
  
Now look at the difference between the two red ones.
The bottom one used #2 and #3 tips, and the top right used only #1.
I just think the finer lines look more pristine.


It helped to look at pictures of plaid fabric as well as pictures of plaid cookies (thank you Cookie Crazie) for pattern inspiration! 

The finishing details that pulled it all together for me were the stitching inside the white message patch and the outline around it. 





Thank You Platter all wrapped up!



Get Well Platter all wrapped up!


   

I definitely will keep trying to perfect the plaid patterns. I'm much more of a modern decor kind of girl, but I have to admit, the plaid adds such a sweet whimsy to the fall theme! 

5 comments:

  1. I also like the plaid, unique and great for the fall. I would have loved to been the recipient of these. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're beautiful, Diana. You did a fabulous job. :) Thanks for the mention.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Diana, how nice is your blog !!!!
    Congratulations !
    I'm from Brasil, and have a blog too.
    If possible, visit me, kisses

    www.docesinspiracoesporrobertagiovaneli.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Roberta! Your blog is beautiful too!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments! If you stopped by, and liked what you saw, let me hear about it!