Pages

Welcome to my Sweets Blog!

Welcome to my Sweets Blog!
I've been looking for a way to share my sweet creations with everyone, and I think I have found it--here is my sweets blog! As I experiment with delicious desserts & sweet treats, I will post pictures, recipes, and how-to tips & tricks. Hope you enjoy reading about my sweets as much I enjoy eating them!

Sunday, November 20, 2011

Experimenting With Gluten Free Sugar Cookies

Well, this was an experiment. My friend's children have a gluten-free diet restrictions, so we got together to experiment with sugar cookies for her son's 2nd birthday. We started out on the right track, went awry somewhere in the middle, and then were definitely saved by good old royal icing. 



Not too bad, when all was said and done, right?




We used a gluten free sugar cookie mix. It's intended to be more of a drop cookie than a roll-out dough, but I was pretty confident that I could get the dough to the proper roll-out consistency with some extra confectioner's sugar. This may have been my first miss-step, although I need to do some more experimenting to know for sure. 

I ended up adding a lot more confectioner's sugar than I would have predicted.

After preparing the dough according to package directions (plus at least a cup extra of confectioner's sugar), we rolled the dough 1/4 inch thick & cut with 2.5 inch circle cookie cutter.


  
Not knowing how much these would spread, we placed them several inches apart on the cookie sheet. 



Some of them came out great. Maybe not the perfectly flat surface I usually get with my regular sugar cookie recipe, but workable nonetheless. This tray expanded slightly, seemed to rise in air bubbles on top, and then fall & crack a bit. 





This tray however...





...did not come out as we expected. They spread into one another, some of them spread into the sides of the pan, causing them to have a straight edge and lose the circle shape completely. Some of them spread from 2.5 inches to almost 6 inches! Not sure why there was so much inconsistency. We realized afterwards that since we were cutting out circles anyway, we should have followed the box directions which were to drop spoonfuls & then flatten them with the bottom of a jar. 


The good news was that they all survived the taste-test, regardless of the amount of spreading. I actually was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed the flavor & texture. Not bad at all, gluten-free or not! 




My next try will be with gluten-free flour in my own sugar cookie recipe. Wish me luck! And if you are reading this as an experienced gluten-free baker, please feel free to add any tips & suggestions to the comments! 





2 comments:

  1. I have had really good results with these gluten free sugar cookies. http://thefeistyfairy.wordpress.com/2011/02/06/happy-birthday-dad-2/ It is one of my favorite recipes; although I may be a bit biased. I have not tried another rolled sugar cookie since developing this one.

    I am new to royal icing; I believe these cookies were the second time I used royal icing, so I do not know how they compare to other cookies as a suitable surface for the icing. The cookies are relatively flat on top and hold there edge well. Most importantly they taste great and have good texture (which I think is a problem with many gluten free products).

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments! If you stopped by, and liked what you saw, let me hear about it!