Pages

Welcome to my Sweets Blog!

Welcome to my Sweets Blog!
I've been looking for a way to share my sweet creations with everyone, and I think I have found it--here is my sweets blog! As I experiment with delicious desserts & sweet treats, I will post pictures, recipes, and how-to tips & tricks. Hope you enjoy reading about my sweets as much I enjoy eating them!

Friday, November 25, 2011

Another Beautiful Reason to Be Thankful

This Thanksgiving, we celebrated the addition of a new baby to the family. My brother & sister-in-law's newest, Baby Zoe Diana, was born one week before Thanksgiving. We brought the feast to their house this year so we could all be together & it was a wonderful day. 

Of course I had to document the birth of my niece, this monumental occasion, with cookies. I was all ready to make some more onesies and baby bonnets, like the cookies I made for her baby shower. I thought the pastel baby colors would look a little out of place with the Thanksgiving dessert spread, but I also thought that no one in my family would sweat it, since we are all so happy to welcome the little one. Then I got an inspiration from Cookie Artisan's latest photo on Flickr. It also made me think of Sweet Sugarbelle's owls & ghosts popping out of the pumpkins from her Halloween collection. Thank you both for such amazing cookie inspirations!! So I switched gears and had a new plan to incorporate the baby cookies with the rest of the Thanksgiving cookies!

{By the way, if you missed my last post, you can see all of my Thanksgiving cookies here!}





I started by making a few Sugar & Spice cookies with a large candy corn cookie cutter. Once they were all cooled, using a toothpick I traced a small circle cookie cutter for the face. 






After brushing away the crumbs, I traced the circle with peach royal icing using a #2 Wilton tip. Once the outline set after a few minutes, I filled (aka flooded) the circle with the same color. 




Next I piped the outline of the pumpkin sections in orange. 




Then these were filled by alternating adjacent sections. 




Time to add details! I used a #1 Wilton tip to pipe a brown stem on the pumpkin lid and closed eyelids on the face. Then I used #1 tip to pipe black eyelashes and black baby hair. My little niece was born with a thick head of dark hair, so I went with wispy black bangs instead of a single curlicue. Finally, a touch of pink in the bonnet ruffle (#2 tip) and pacifier (#1 tip). 




She really looks this peaceful when she sleeps!


The Welcome plaque was made by piecing two flower cookies together before baking. I didn't take pics during this process, but I'm sure I will do it again, because I really love how they came out!




We have a lot to be thankful for this year!! 



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments! If you stopped by, and liked what you saw, let me hear about it!