Pages

Welcome to my Sweets Blog!

Welcome to my Sweets Blog!
I've been looking for a way to share my sweet creations with everyone, and I think I have found it--here is my sweets blog! As I experiment with delicious desserts & sweet treats, I will post pictures, recipes, and how-to tips & tricks. Hope you enjoy reading about my sweets as much I enjoy eating them!

Monday, October 24, 2011

Pumpkins and Jack-o'-lanterns

It finally hit me this weekend that Fall is in fact here, and here to stay. So it was about time to make a few batches of my favorite cookie of all time, my Sugar and Spice Cookies! They are a variation on the roll-out sugar cookie, and are perfect for decorating with Royal Icing



Before I go on... I hold this recipe near and dear to my heart since it's the first one I ever developed on my own, way back when I was in high school or maybe college (no clue when, all the years of baking blend together!) Even though I won't be posting this particular recipe, you can get a similar flavor adding premixed pumpkin or apple pie spice blends to your favorite sugar cookie recipe! 

Anyway, back to the fun part... 

I started the fall-cookie-decorating-extravaganza-weekend with Pumpkins and Jack-o'-lanterns! 

A tray of pumpkin-shaped Sugar & Spice Cookies after they are baked.
These are a little tougher to check for done-ness since they are already brown,
so you really have to know the tendencies of your oven and baking pans!


I made a big batch of Royal Icing, set aside a small bowl to make colors for the details, and made the rest of it orange! Lots and lots of orange. 

To get the textured effect for the round ridges on the pumpkins, I made the royal icing so that the consistency was thick enough to form soft peaks, but thin enough that the peak would fall back into the rest of the icing within 20 seconds. This means that if you lift up the beaters, there will be a small triangle or peak formed with the icing, and by the time you count to 20, the peak will be gone, having blended back into the rest of the icing. Another way to check this is to take a butter knife and 'cut' through the icing in the center of the bowl. It should take 20 seconds for the space to refill with icing, and the icing will look like it did before you cut through it. 

I used a #3 decorator tip to pipe on the pumpkin ridges, starting with the middle, far left and far right ridges. It helps to gently tap the cookie or shake it back and forth on the table to help smooth out the icing once it's piped on.

 It helps to gently tap the cookie on the table or carefully hold the sides and move it
quickly back and forth on the table to help smooth out the icing once it's piped on.

Let these sections set for about 20-30 minutes. Then fill in the other two sections.

You can see the sheen on the middle and outer sections that have
 already dried is slightly more dull than the newly piped sections.
I love the rustic look of these, and the sections really don't have to be perfectly piped to get the right effect! I must have made the icing slightly too thick, because the orange icing didn't get as smooth as I would have liked, but it does go with the overall rustic effect, so I'll take it. 


Once the whole orange layer dries completely, it's time for the details! I gave them all a brown stem. 


Then some of them got green leaves and vines.



And the rest of them got faces!


I made some traditional Jack-o'-lanterns...


Some happy Jacks...


Mean pumpkin heads...


And some silly faces!
These remind me of Muppets. Must be the noses?
Look, he's checking her out!

More pictures...


I love the pumpkins and jack-o'-lanterns paired with the rest
of the fall cookies...oak leaves, maple leaves, and acorns!
(Stay tuned for my next post for more
of the fall cookie extravaganza cookies!)

2 comments:

  1. hahahaha i love the mean pumpkin heads and the flirty faces! so cute!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments! If you stopped by, and liked what you saw, let me hear about it!