Pages

Welcome to my Sweets Blog!

Welcome to my Sweets Blog!
I've been looking for a way to share my sweet creations with everyone, and I think I have found it--here is my sweets blog! As I experiment with delicious desserts & sweet treats, I will post pictures, recipes, and how-to tips & tricks. Hope you enjoy reading about my sweets as much I enjoy eating them!

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Fall Leaves and Acorns



More delicious Fall cookies...oak leaves, maple leaves, and acorns!



Wilton makes a great set of Leaf and Acorn cookie cutters in 3 sizes each. I love the minis. They make the perfect two-bite cookie (or one bite, if you love sweets as much as I do)! 


I always use parchment paper or silicone mats to line the baking sheets. Notice how many cookies I can fit on one sheet...as long as the butter is very cold when making the roll-out cookie dough, they will hardly spread at all while cooking!

The top left are the minis & the rest are the largest size.

For the acorns, I wanted a brown base on the bottom. It would take a lot of brown food coloring to get the white royal icing past the tan category and into a true brown. Too much food coloring can alter the taste and texture of the icing. To get around this, when I want to make brown or other dark colors, I add 1/4 cup cocoa powder to the Royal Icing recipe. It will likely need a bit more water too. 


Royal Icing (for Brown Icing & other dark colors)
1/4 cup cocoa powder, sifted
3 tablespoons meringue powder
1 lb (4 cups) confectioners sugar 
5-6 tablespoons warm water (plus extra as needed)
brown or other dark food coloring
1. Mix together all ingredients* in clean large bowl with electric mixer at low speed until combined.
2. Beat at high speed until smooth and thickened. 
3. Add more water in small amounts as needed to obtain desired consistency. (Soft peaks for piping & filling; stiff peaks for spreading, piping small details, and constructing gingerbread houses).
4. *If you plan to make multiple colors, transfer smaller amounts of icing into small bowls and mix in different food coloring in each bowl at the end. 

Click here for a link to the original Royal Icing recipe from an earlier post.



the Acorns

Now with the brown icing, we can make acorns! I used red, yellow, and orange icing plus brown sprinkles (a.k.a. jimmies) to give the top color and texture. 

Pipe or spread the bottom with the brown royal icing.
Wait for the brown bottom section to dry completely.
Then pipe or spread the colored icing on the cap of the acorn.
While the icing is still wet, sprinkle on the sprinkles! 

The same instructions apply to all sizes!
  



the Leaves

For the large and medium leaves, I used a #3 tip to pipe the outline, and then filled the same color, but with a slightly thinner consistency (this process is also called flooding -- when you're self taught, you make up your own terminology, so I call it filling!). Once the base dried completely, I used the #3 tip again to pipe the veins. 

For the minis, I piped & filled the entire shape with the same icing I used for piping the outline and veins of the larger ones. To make sure the base becomes smooth, while still wet, gently tap on the table a few times or move quickly back and forth across the table a few times. Again, once the base dries completely, the veins can be piped on.

The Maple Leaves.
I had trouble making the veins, but
in the end I think they turned out OK!

The Oak Leaves.
I love the shape of these. I think it's the rounded
points and the fullness of the flooded icing.

Don't you just wanna jump into this pile of leaves!

The Minis!

Here's a little treat bag I put together for some of my girlies, 
along with some pumpkins from my last post.

These Sugar & Spice Acorn & Leaf Cookies are hands down my favorite thing about the Fall!

4 comments:

  1. Cute cookies, what a nice hostess gift these would make. Good idea, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great tutorial!!! Help us to help you get found, this is a near perfect post...


    Greetings. This is my first time on your blog, but you have a terrific one. I am always on the look out for new blogs, new ideas. I especially appreciate all the details you do. Great photos makes it seem like anyone can replicate the recipe!

    I am asking, would you please consider posting a few of your favorite recipes on erecipecards.com
    http://erecipecards.com/

    It is a tool for bloggers to see and to be seen. Your posts would fit in perfectly.

    in addition, all photos, recipe titles as well as your blog name would link directly back to your blog. Thus giving you new attention and potentially new readers.

    Or, if you just want to take a look at a lot of fellow food bloggers all in one place. A great learning experience to get ideas about how to establish your own blogging voice!

    We have a very easy to follow step by step photo guide to help you get started…
    http://erecipecards.com/content/?id=42


    Please take a look. If you have any ideas or questions, please do not hesitate to write

    Dave
    http://erecipecards.com/
    Contact@eRecipeCards.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dave, I will definitely check it out!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments! If you stopped by, and liked what you saw, let me hear about it!