Pages

Welcome to my Sweets Blog!

Welcome to my Sweets Blog!
I've been looking for a way to share my sweet creations with everyone, and I think I have found it--here is my sweets blog! As I experiment with delicious desserts & sweet treats, I will post pictures, recipes, and how-to tips & tricks. Hope you enjoy reading about my sweets as much I enjoy eating them!

Monday, October 3, 2011

Baby Shower Sugar Cookies!

Now that my sister's surprise baby shower is over, I can share the baby shower cookies that I've been working on! I die for these baby bonnets and the onesies & bottles made perfect accents to the tablescape.  



The Baby Bonnet Sugar Cookies were made with a 6 petal daisy cookie cutter. First draw a peach circle, slightly smaller than the center of the flower. Then outline the petals & fill in with white. 


Once the base dries, outline the peach center with light purple, or any color you want! Pipe small overlapping teardrop shapes or dots to look like a ruffle edge. Outline & fill in a bow, with the center in between two of the petals. Add a little curl for the baby's hair. Last, outline the entire bonnet in the same color as the ruffle &  bow. 


Draw the eyes by piping small upward curves or downward curves. Then draw 3-5 small black eyelashes on each eye. Since I made brown icing for the hair, I used the brown for the eye line and black for the lashes. I'm sure the entire eye can be piped all in black, and it would have a slightly darker overall look. 


The final detail is the pacifier. Pipe a flat circle, filled in, where the mouth should be. Let it set a few minutes, then pipe a small circle slightly overlapping the first one. I used pink for the pacifier, but again, any color will do! 


For the onesies, I was inspired by a tutorial on KarensCookies.net, where she describes how to make the cutest little decorations using only a few teardrop shapes. 


I made Hearts...
Flowers...
and Ducks!


Here are the close-ups of the onesie decorations...


Finally, the baby bottles. When I make a platter of cookies, I like to have a few different sizes. It makes it look more interesting. The bottles are a little less than half the size of the onesies. 


Start with the nipple- I saved time by using the same peach color as the faces on the baby bonnets. You could make this slightly more orange or yellow, or even white! 


Then fill in the base of the bottle in white, and the lid in the color of your choice. The lid should overlap the nipple, and meet the top of the white base. Outline the lid & add ridges. Outline the base in your accent color and add measurement lines. You could also write the baby's name on the bottle instead, or a message such as, "It's a girl!"


I can't resist closing this post with a hilarious story about my 21-month old niece (the big-sister-to-be of the baby of honor).  After a long but wonderful day of celebrating, my niece continued to entertain us all as usual. She picked up one of the bottle cookies, put it up to her mouth, and started drinking it like a real bottle, tipping her head back & adding sucking sound effects and everything! She even jokingly said, "Nap time!" since that's when she usually has her bottle. I mean really. I have no words for her cuteness and her wit! 


2 comments:

  1. Also when she saw the little sleeping faces of the babies on the cookies, she pointed and said, "Ooooh!" My thoughts exactly!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing cookies and an amazing sister-in-law! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments! If you stopped by, and liked what you saw, let me hear about it!