Pages

Welcome to my Sweets Blog!

Welcome to my Sweets Blog!
I've been looking for a way to share my sweet creations with everyone, and I think I have found it--here is my sweets blog! As I experiment with delicious desserts & sweet treats, I will post pictures, recipes, and how-to tips & tricks. Hope you enjoy reading about my sweets as much I enjoy eating them!

Monday, September 5, 2011

Whale Sugar Cookies

These Whale Sugar Cookies were made with my signature sugar cookie & royal icing recipes for a friend's son's 1st birthday. 




Unfortunately, I didn't have a whale-shaped cookie cutter, and the only one that I could find online that was the shape I wanted would have cost $12.95 plus shipping. That's way too much for me to spend on one cookie cutter! There were a few that looked less like cartoon whales and more like humpback whales, which wouldn't have made sense for a 1st birthday party. I would have bought the expensive one, as a last resort, but I had to try to be resourceful first. 



It can be really fun to try combining a few shapes cut from other cookie cutters to get the shape you need! It's a helpful technique that I am somewhat familiar with, having made cats and dogs by adding different shaped ears to a circle, and Minnie Mouse's signature ears and bow using smaller circles and the points of a star. So I looked in my collection of cutters to see how I could make the cute cartoonish whale that I wanted. Miraculously it didn't take too long to find what I needed...a small airplane, and an extra large bunny head.

Here's how to do it...

Roll dough about 1/4 inch thick.
Cut out bunny head and airplane.

Remove excess dough from work area.

Using a flat knife or icing spreader, cut away the
left wing of the plane and half of the right wing.
Cut away both bunny ears on a diagonal.

Remove the excess wings and ears. Place the
airplane on the newly formed point, so that
the front of the plane and the remaining
half of the wing overlaps the point.

Use a small icing spreader to attach the pieces
by pressing them together until flat.  

And now you have a whale!
Use a large flat spatula to carefully place onto the
cookie sheet. At this point the whale is still fragile.
However, once it is baked it will stay together. 

NOTE: To ensure the tails don't break later when
 packing or transporting the cookies, it may be a good
idea to press the tail into the body as shown here.
Unfortunately for me, this was a retrospective idea,
after noticing that some of the tails broke as I was
layering the cookies onto a platter. Live & learn!


Even though I broke these steps down into quite a lot of pictures for illustration, the above process really only takes a few extra seconds per cookie. Once you have a plan for what pieces to cut off each shape, and how to line up the shapes to press them together, you can cut a bunch of airplanes and a bunch of bunnies, and whip through the above steps for many cookies in a row rather quickly.


Once they are baked and cooled it's time to decorate with royal icing! First the outline...
Using a size 3 tip, I piped an outline of the whale.
For these, I went all along the edge, except for
 the top of the hump, where I piped the curve about
 1/2" from the edge. Now there's room for a water spout!


Then fill in with a slightly thinner consistency of icing...
When outlining & filling with royal icing, I always
do one cookie sheet at a time. Outline all the cookies
on one sheet, then fill all those cookies. This way,
the outline has a few minutes to set and hold its
shape, but it will still blend well with the filling.

Once the base layer of icing dries completely, it's time to give these little guys some character! 
The darker blue outline gives the tail a more defined
shape. I also piped a small fin in the same color.
Then I used white icing to add a little smile, an eye,
and, of course, the water spout...my favorite part!

1 comment:

  1. I saw these earlier and forgot to comment. They look so good and you were so creative with the way you put them together. I'm just happy if the cookies I make turn out somewhat round. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments! If you stopped by, and liked what you saw, let me hear about it!