Pages

Welcome to my Sweets Blog!

Welcome to my Sweets Blog!
I've been looking for a way to share my sweet creations with everyone, and I think I have found it--here is my sweets blog! As I experiment with delicious desserts & sweet treats, I will post pictures, recipes, and how-to tips & tricks. Hope you enjoy reading about my sweets as much I enjoy eating them!

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Starfish Sugar Cookies

I really loved making these Starfish Sugar Cookies, especially in mid-September. Summer is my favorite time of year, and I always hate to let go at the end of August.  While everyone is embracing the fall, during September I try desperately to enjoy the last few weeks of warm weather and summer sunshine in New Jersey.  

These were made for a bride who wanted a cookie favor to add to the welcome baskets that her wedding guests would receive at the hotel. What a great idea! Instead of (or maybe, in addition to) the gum, candy bars, and snacks that brides typically fill the baskets with, her guests will receive a beautiful, delicious, homemade treat! 



For the Sugar Cookie and Royal Icing recipes, click here.  

Roll out the dough about 1/4 inch thick. It helps to work
in batches here. Take about a quarter to a third of the
 cookie dough & roll it out on a smooth clean surface that
has been dusted with flour and confectioner's sugar.
These new sizers for my rolling pin are amazing. No more
guesswork on the thickness of dough! The package I got
has a few different sizes, and the green one is 1/4 inch. They
are very sturdy, but hard to get onto the rolling pin I must say!
But once on each side, they guide your roller to the perfect
thickness! One of those ingenious things I wish I had invented.
 
Cut out starfish shapes.
Place on starfish on cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
After baking at 400 F for about 10 minutes (depending on the 
cookie sheet used & the tendencies of your oven) cool on the 
cookie sheet for a few minutes. Carefully place on cooling rack.  
Once cooled completely, outline and fill with a coral/peach color.
I used about 1/4 tsp of the Creamy Peach gel coloring by Wilton.  
The base layer should set for about an hour or more. Using the
same peach color, add a dot in the center, and then about 6 more
dots in a line along each point of the star. When the dots are still
wet, place a white pearl sprinkle on each one.
 
Fill in with more peach icing dots along the sprinkles. 
Outline the edge for a more defined starfish shape.
All wrapped up!


Tools & Equipment:
Here are some of the special gadgets and equipment I used for these cookies...
Rolling Pin Rubber Sizers

Wilton Icing Colors
Creamy Peach
Wilton Pearlized Sprinkles
White Sugar Pearls

2 comments:

  1. Hello,


    We bumped into your blog and we really liked it.
    We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

    We would be delighted if you could add your blog to Petitchef so that our users can, as us,
    enjoy your recipes.

    Petitchef is a french based Cooking recipes Portal. Several hundred Blogs are already members
    and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

    To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

    Best regards,

    Vincent
    petitchef.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Vincent! Glad you enjoyed reading! Will do!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments! If you stopped by, and liked what you saw, let me hear about it!