Pages

Welcome to my Sweets Blog!

Welcome to my Sweets Blog!
I've been looking for a way to share my sweet creations with everyone, and I think I have found it--here is my sweets blog! As I experiment with delicious desserts & sweet treats, I will post pictures, recipes, and how-to tips & tricks. Hope you enjoy reading about my sweets as much I enjoy eating them!

Friday, September 30, 2011

30th Birthday Sugar Cookies

This week I made 30th Birthday Sugar Cookies decorated with Royal Icing and pink & purple colored sugar sprinkles. Simple design, girlie colors... I think they came out just adorable!







First I made the Sugar Cookie dough & rolled out to 1/4 inch thickness. Then, I followed these steps to make the '30' shape:
Use a large round cookie cutter to make circles.
Use a small sharp knife to cut a small triangle at the top
 and bottom of the circle and a long rectangle at the left side.
 
Lay out cookies on the prepared cookie sheet. I use either
parchment paper or silicone mats (shown here) to line the cookie
sheets so that the bottom of the cookies stay perfectly smooth.

Once the cookies are all rolled out, cut, and baked, it's time to decorate with Royal Icing! Ice a white base onto each cookie & let it dry for at least an hour or overnight. Then pipe on the outline of the numbers and the decorative patterns. The icing should be thick enough to hold soft peaks-- if it's too thin, the outline and patterns will spread and will look messy. 

Use a #2 decorator tip to pipe the black outline for the numbers. 
Use a #2 or #3 decorator tip to add geometric patterns in
different colors. I made some with pink stripes on the
3 and others with pink dots on the 0.
Then use same size tip to add opposite designs in another
color. On the cookies with pink stripes on the 3, I piped
purple dots on the 0, and vice versa. 
After the black outline and geometric patterns have dried
completely, pipe an outline around the whole shape.
 Immediately pour colored sugar over the outline & shake off excess.
Shake into a clean bowl to reuse the sugar!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments! If you stopped by, and liked what you saw, let me hear about it!